Address:

223610, Slutsk, Lenin street, 189

Phone:

+375 (1795) 2-56-92

Fax:

+375 (1795) 2-59-92

Operating mode:

8.00 - 17.00, обед 13.00 - 14.00

History

Slutsk was first mentioned in chronicles in 1116 as one of the towns of the Principality of Turov. In 1320-30s the Principality of Turov became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

In 1395, Duke Vladimir, a son of Lithuanian Grand Duke Olgerd, became the owner of Slutsk. Under the Olelkovichis (successors of Duke Vladimir), the town of Slutsk received the Magdeburg Right (1441). It became the third town in Belarus (after Brest and Grodno) which had been granted self-government rights.

During that time there was the Upper Castle, the lower Castle in the town. Later, in the 17th century, the New Castle or Citadel was built in Slutsk. In late 15th century, Slutsk was mentioned as one of the biggest towns of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.

From 1502 to 1521, the town of Slutsk suffered from the attacks of the Crimean Tatars. In summer 1506, after the death of Duke Semeon Mikhailovich, Duchess Anastasia led the defense of the town. The Tatars did not manage to capture the Slutsk Castle.

In the 17th century, the town of Slutsk and the Duchy belonged to the Radzivills. The 18th century was the heyday of culture and arts of Slutsk. The town had the factory which produced famous Slutsk belts made of silk, gold and silver threads. The Slutsk belts are considered the pearl of the Belarusian decorative and applied arts and pride of many museums of the world.

Slutsk Duke Jerome Radzivill organized a theatre, which was one of the first professional theaters in Belarus. Actors, comedians, singers from Italy and Austria performed on its stage.

In 1846, the town of Slutsk was incorporated into the Russian Empire. The Slutsk uyezd was made part of the Minsk guberniya.

During the Patriotic War of 1812, the town was occupied by the French troops. A memorial plaque in the village of Lenino, where the battle between the Russian Army led by General Bagration and the French troops took place, reminds of the former battles on the Slutsk land.

During the World War I, Slutsk was a front-line town. In November 1917, the Soviet power was established in the town.

In early 1919, the town was occupied by the Polish legionaries, then by the troops of Kaiser Germany. From August 1919 to November 1920, Slutsk was occupied by the Polish troops twice.

During the World War II the Belarusians including residents of the Slutsk region went through terrible ordeals. On June 27, 1941 the region was fully occupied by the Fascist troops.

During the war, the Nazis set up a camp for POWs in Slutsk. More than 14,000 people were killed there.

On June 30, 1944 the town of Slutsk was liberated from the Fascist troops.

The species of architecture and historical monuments of the Slutsk region include St. Michael’s Church (18th century), former buildings of the Noble Assembly, religious and commercial schools, a post house (19th century).